Call To Action Nutrition and Surveys from LA Daily News 2(#2)
Yesterday I began discussing the article by Susan Abram in the Sunday edition of the LA Daily News.
Today I want to continue with that and include these statistics.
A really good article on the “facts” about obesity and overweigh and the cause of it.
Of course there is lots of “opinions” on this but Susan really hit the nail on the head. It’s basically caused by over-eating fast foods or wrong foods…..
I recently read the book EAT TO LIVE, by Dr. Joel Fuhrman and he has given example after example of people eating all they want or all they could possibly eat and still lost weight…..
Dr. Fuhrman says if we eat a pound of RAW greens a day…. A pound of cooked greens a day…. A coup of beans a day and 4 servings of fruits a day…… we could eat until we’re totally “stuffed” and still lose weight,,,,,, drop our cholesterol levels to acceptable levels…. Reduce our high blood pressure to acceptable levels and in many cases eliminate diabetes (type 2) and heart issues…..among other things…. By doing this, we’re eliminating sugars and fats (bad fats) from our daily diet. Also by eating like this we would also move toward eliminating other auto-immune and inflammatory issues (chronic deseases) in our bodies….. Think about that…. All by eating right!!!!
Back to Susan’s article…. I must agree that marketing that makes fast foods look soooo good tends to be responsible for Americans hitting the fast food restaurants and in fact lots of “other” restaurants….. and “portion sizes” are generally HUGE at almost all restaurants.
Buffets and “all you can eat” is also a cause…. Seems everyone wants to “get their money’s worth”…. And they do….. loading their plates to overflowing and then going back for more…..
Enough about that….
In Susan’s article she records another important fact….. we simply CANNOT rely on Government and Pharmaceutical Companies to help solve our problems by stricter “controls” on what we eat and how much we eat.
The second part of Susan’s article dealt with SURVEYS and what’s happening to the American public.—Chronic Diseases Gain—-
Here are a few vital facts from her article:
- Average life expectancy for men and women has increased from 75.2 years in 1990 to 78.2 years in 2010, primarily because of better vaccines and better medicines….. according to the American Medical Association.Note: I’m a little skeptical about that since they always want to toot their own horns …. We need to follow the money….. Just to follow the logic of not allowing Government and Big Pharma…. to control our eating ….. we cannot allow them to control our health either….. Medicine also Kills…In fact a recent article in the Scientific American says that approximately 210,000 people die yearly because of medical mistakes in US Hospitals. — WOW!!!
Here’s a quote that will amaze you….. from the Scientific American—“ Now comes a study in the current issue of the Journal of Patient Safety that says the numbers may be much higher 2014 between 210,000 and 440,000 patients each year who go to the hospital for care suffer some type of preventable harm that contributes to their death, the study says.
That would make medical errors the third-leading cause of death in America, behind heart disease, which is the first, and cancer, which is second.”
So you see….. heart disease continues to be the number one cause of death with cancer being number 2…..
You may have read that we ALL have cancer cells in our bodies all the time. They are constantly manifesting and dying…… dying because we eat foods loaded with antioxidants and foods that have “low to no” sugars and bad fats…… Sugar for cancer cells is like throwing gasoline on an open fire….. it feeds the cancer cells…. So we need to get away from sugar….. we simply eat too much of it in the American diet.
- Even though life expectance is increasing, “….morbidity and chronic disability now accounts for nearly half of the U.S. health burden….”
- An increase in type 2 diabetes in high school students.
- Physicians are seeing more fatty liver disease in 12-year-olds, and teens with gall bladder stones, typically associated with obesity.
- Undiagnosed Diabetes is a significant problem in the U.S.
An interesting fact that I didn’t know is that the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) in Long Beach and Monrovia, CA and in 14 other counties across the U.S. examines the physical fitness and dietary habits of randomly selected people. These findings over the past 54 years are provided to the National Center for Helth Statistics and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Again…. I want to thank Susan Abram for her article this past Sunday. It’s been a confirming article on the declining health of Americans because of our eating and lifestyle habits.
Go back and read my blog on BMI…. Measure yours and do something about it….
NJoyFreedom Jerry and Diane